The Institute originally known as 'Serum Institute' was established at Madras Veterinary College campus, Chennai in 1932 to produce Anti-Rinderpest serum and bull virus to combat Rinderpest which was rampant then, posing serious threat to livestock population.
In 1942, this Institute was shifted to agricultural college campus Coimbatore as an emergency measure due world war II. In March 1948,the institute was shifted to the present campus at ranipet, facing the national highway No.4 at a distance of 114 kms from Chennai.
The Institute has undergone vast development over 73 years and it is now engaged in the production of various vaccines, (Bacterial & Viral vaccines) against various diseases of livestock and poultry, Diagnostic reagents and Pharmaceutical products for treatment of ailing animals.
INSTITUTE OF VETERINARY PREVENTIVE MEDICINE
Ranipet – 632 402, Vellore District, Tamil Nadu
Phone: 04172 -272633
Fax: 04172 -272633